Monday, March 10, 2008

Freddy Lutz Letter of Interest

Letter of Interest:
Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Freddy E. Lutz Jr., and I am writing to express my interest in filling the current vacancy on the Board of Commissioners, serving Lehigh County's Third District.

My wife and I have lived in the Borough of Catasauqua (3d District) since 2001, and while I am not a "native" of the Lehigh Valley, have considered this region to be my home since 1992. As many others, I have witnessed the growth and progress that has occurred in the area, and understand that only through my active involvement in local affairs can I contribute towards making the future growth of this area occur in a positive, sustainable manner.

I feel that my upbringing and history have provided me with the breadth of experience that would be a wonderful compliment the current Board. I also believe that, while each individual has the right to believe in what they wish, a certain degree of compromise and objectivity is required to truly represent those residents which they have chosen to serve.

As a Fine-Arts Major in college, I frequently found myself using my creative skills to find solutions for a variety of problems. I am a strong believer that in order to find the best solution, most times you need to keep an open mind, since progress is not only repeating those things that have proven successful, but also educating yourself to the issues at hand, and going in new directions. Most of us have heard the phrase: "If you risk nothing, you risk everything." I feel this philosophy is paramount to fully addressing the needs of the public for one simple reason - when you look back through history at all the life-altering projects improved a regions livelihood and sustainability, every one of them required taking a chance.

My Experience:

In my early professional career, I held a number of construction-related jobs, which have provided me the valuable "life experience" of constructing various improvements from buildings, to utilities, to road infrastructure. I have found that understanding the logistical issues and limitations of implementing these types of projects has been instrumental in my professional advancement since then.
In 2001,1 assumed a managerial position in local government, serving as a zoning officer in a Northampton County municipality. In that position, I served as a liaison to a number of Boards and Commissions, and acquired a wealth of experience in interpreting/applying the Pennsylvania Municipalities Code (MFC), as well as coordinating projects and addressing issues with virtually every municipal department, including Police, Public Works, and Water and Sewer Authorities. In that same period, I also became the municipal Geographic Information Systems (CIS) Administrator, which fostered an even deeper belief in "seeing the big picture", as I facilitated GIS projects with all the same Boards, Commissions, and departments.
Currently, I am an Office Manager and Executive Staff Member for a regional engineering firm, and am responsible for day-to-day activities of the firms Lehigh Valley office, including business development, personnel matters, and other administrative functions. In this capacity, I am regularly involved in municipal projects, as this is the focus of the firms business. As a result, I am immersed in the dynamic daily issues that most local and regional governments face. From regulatory agencies, to private resident concerns, I am frequently involved in mediating issues that require an understanding of both (or more) view-points relating to a variety of issues, from Subdivision and Land Development applications, utility and road improvements, stormwater management, and code enforcement, to name a few. I consider myself to be an above-average communicator, and have found that most adversarial issues can be greatly reduced by communicating effectively, and respectfully. Similarly, educating yourself to the issues at hand allows you to understand the viewpoints of others. While you may not agree with those views, you can at least make a more educated decision by understanding their concerns.

I am also currently the Chairperson of the Borough of Catasauqua, and have served in this capacity for the past 2 years. Prior to that, Ihad served as a member of the same board for one year. In this capacity, I frequently converse with a variety of persons seeking to improve (heir properties, sometimes not necessarily in compliance with what may be permitted or desired. As a result, it is often the case where we discuss what avenues may be open for them to achieve their goals, or how compromises can be reached that satisfy both the resident and Borough's concerns. I also communicate regarding these issues with Borough Staff and other Elected Officials, as necessary to make sure that the Boards input is conveyed in a clear, professional manner.

I stand prepared to commit the energy and resources to fulfilling the role of Commissioner, and look forward to the opportunity to meet in person for further consideration.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments: